The pancakes, stuffed with maple syrup, honey, jam and dried fruit, a plate that cannot be missed in the best brunches, have taken a long journey before arriving on our tables. It seems they have originated from ancient Greece caled “teganites” or “tagenites”, in a version without yeast, but thanks to the Romans they have spread throughout Europe with many variations.
The success of this dessert reached the British Isles where they have been named “pancakes“. The latest version of the recipe is the US version that includes the introduction of yeast, giving the soft aspect that all we know.
In this pancakes recipe the ingredients are really simple, flour, milk, eggs, yeast and cinnamon. The ingredient that differentiates it from the usual recipe is the “Cà dal Lauv” cherry vinegar with which the grapefruit is marinated, together with the almonds.
The final touch is given by the vinegar “Dalla botte di Corrado”, aged 40 years, which makes the taste of this recipe really delicious and surprising.
Pancakes with grapefruit and cherry vinegar are perfect for breakfast or for a tasty snack break, simple and low in calories, bring good humor and give the right amount of energy.
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of “Cà dal Lauv Riserva” cherry vinegar
- ½ cup of buckwheat flour
- ½ cup of spelled flour
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- icing sugar
- dense cherry vinegar “Corrado” for the garnish
- Peel the pink grapefruit and cut it into cubes. Put the grapefruit to marinate with the “Riserva” cherry vinegar and the brown sugar.
- Meanwhile mix the flour with the baking powder. Add milk, a pinch of salt and the cinnamon, continuing to work the mixture with a whisk to avoid lumps. Combine the egg and blend. Pour the mixture into a very hot pan helping yourself with a ladle. When you see bubbles appearing on the surface, it’s time to turn the pancake.
- Pour a little thick vinegar (aged 40 years) on each pancakes and finally garnish the surface with the diced marinated grapefruit, a sprinkling of icing sugar and almonds.
For this tasty recipe it is important to thank the author of the article, Samanta Boselli, blogger of https://abetterjuice.it/
The website contains many other tasty light and bio recipes to try! Also take a look at her social media profiles https://www.facebook.com/abetterjuice/ e https://www.instagram.com/abetterjuice/